Thursday, January 27, 2011

My Thoughts on To Kill a Warlock



I wake up this morning laying in bed thinking ugh morning already, and promptly roll back over pulling my snuggly down comforter over my head.  Then as my inner voice starts chastising me for retreating in to the cloud comfort I call my bed I begrudgingly throw my feet over the side of the bed and set up ready to face the day. I am immediately assaulted with my morning routine of getting my family ready for their day of work and school. This routine consists of breakfast, reminders, and lunches for my two if sometimes annoying favorite people.  Finally and an hour and a half later I sit at my desk with a nice warm cup of java to finish reading my latest book To Kill a Warlock which brings me to writing this review.


 
Synopsis from the back of the book 
The murder of a dark art warlock, a shape-shifting ravenous creature on the loose, and a devilishly handsome stranger sent to investigate sometimes-working law enforcement for the Netherworld is a real bitch. Dulcie O'Neil is a fairy not the type that frolics in gardens either. She's a Regulator-a law-enforcement agent who monitors the creatures of the Netherworld to keep them from wreaking havoc in the mortal world. When a warlock is murdered and Dulcie was the last person to see him alive, she must uncover the truth before she's either deported back to the Netherworld, or she becomes the next victim. Enter Knight Vander, a sinfully attractive investigator sent from the Netherworld to work the case with Dulcie. Between battling her attraction to her self-appointed partner, keeping a sadomasochistic demon in check, and fending off the advances of a sexy and powerful vampire, Dulcie's got her hands full. As the body count increases, Dulcie finds herself battling dark magic, reconnoitering in S&M clubs and suffering the greatest of all betrayals.
 
My Thoughts
      
This is the third book I have read from Mallory and that like its predecessors, it did not disappoint. HP Mallory is as good of a writer as any other Urban Fantasy author I've read. Her writing was great and her story line and characterizations were fantastic. I was sucked in from the very first page! The story follows Dulcie O'Neil an independent, hard-working, crime busting fairy as she polices the Netherworld handling illegal potion trafficking, murder, and much more! Dulcie's routine is thrown into disarray when a dark arts warlock is murdered it becomes Dulcie’s job to track down the killer. The bad news for Dulcie is she was at the shop of the dark arts warlock the night he died, and she happened to have seen a tall, dark, and handsome stranger, one she has never seen before. Even stranger is that she couldn't tell what kind of magical being he was... which is very unusual for Dulcie being both a fairy and a regulator for the A.N.C., she knows every creature that comes and goes in the human world.  Enter Knight Vander (a great name right) who has his sights on Dulcie... the problem? He is here to get Dulcie to work with him on finding the creature that killed the warlock and Dulcie has… let us just say a few trust issues. Nevertheless, Dulcie must crack the case, fast--and it remains to be seen whether the sinfully attractive investigator Knight Vander will help or hinder her cause. Between fighting her attraction for Knight, hunting a roaming monster, handling a scheming vampire, an S&M loving Demon, and the steamy love triangle that blossoms will Dulcie be able to capture the murderer in time?  Guess you are going to have to read to find out! Character wise I was very delighted with Dulcie, she reminded me of a girl next door type, with kick ass abilities! Her abilities include the magic of fairy dust, which she can make with the waggle of her wrist, and her fairy speed, which was cool and refreshingly different.  I definitely recommend this book to people who enjoy a sassy lead character, sinfully good looking men, with a hint of romance and suspense!

If I had a rating system I would give this, book 4 out of 5 stars. The one thing I did not like about this book was the length; it ended at page 167 on my ereader. Although, Barnes and Nobles says it is 208 pages either way to short for my tastes I enjoy a much longer book as I feel such a sense of loss when they end.  I would love to discuss this book so if anyone has read it and up to it comment.

2 comments:

  1. I liked this book for what it was. A very fun book!! Thanks for stopping by Forbidden steam.

    There is still time to enter my Steampunkery Giveaway!!!

    Mad Scientist
    Steampunkery & Book Reviews
    Forbidden Steam  Adult- even the Mad Scientist gets naughty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, this book was so much fun. Just...cute, is what keeps coming to mind. Can't wait for A Tale of two Goblins. ^_^

    ReplyDelete