Wednesday, February 9, 2011

My Thoughts on The Willow by Stacey Kennedy

The Willow - The Magical Sword Book One



I am so excited today-- I finally finished my taxes, finished reading another book, it’s already Wednesday, and Justified starts back tonight! So now on with the review!

As I start this review I find myself wondering how in the world I am going to write it. I was not in the least bit impressed with this book, and that saddens me considering it got raving reviews everywhere I looked. Unfortunately, for me I actually bought Book 1 and Book 2 in the series because of said reviews.

The Willows by Stacey Kennedy

From the back of the book:

A past of secrets, a life broken by death―awakens to a world of promise and love, but lurking danger threatens to destroy it all. In Carson City, Nevada a tragic car accident has claimed the lives of Nexi Jones’ adoptive parents. Now, without them, her reason to live has vanished and she is determined to end her pain. The problem with that, it’s not heaven she wakes up to, it’s the Otherworld. Nexi must reconcile the truth about her past, and her heritage as part guardian/part witch, while she begins to train to join the Council’s guard. But it’s not the combat training that has her worried, its attempting to keep her cool around the luscious guardian, Kyden that’s her biggest concern. Before long, Nexi’s skills are put to the test as she begins to fight against the supernatural who have taken a human life. But nothing can prepare her for the journey ahead. Soon, she will find herself lost in a mystery and fighting to keep all she’s gained, as Lazarus, a vampire, threatens to take it all away.

My Thoughts

This book starts off following central character Nexi. Her adoptive parents have just died in a car wreck, the only family she has ever known, and left her alone in this world. She is very depressed and decides she no longer wants to live. She goes to the only peaceful place she knows, underneath her favorite tree, a willow, to die. As she lays there dying a beautiful man shows up, and says he is taking her home. When she awakens she realizes that death did not become her, and her whole life has been a lie. Her biological father had come for her, and brought her home to the Otherworld where she discovers she is half Guardian and half witch, a combination no one has ever seen. As her witchy powers have not surfaced yet she begins training as a Guardian, a league of supernatural police charged with keeping the humans safe from the Otherworldly beings. She begins training with Kyden as her sexy mentor and soon finds outs what it means to be a guardian. Kyden and Nexi are charged with searching for a dark force that is using werewolves to do his bidding, and the more they find out the more they realize it has everything to do with Nexi and her past.

I have taken many days trying to come up with what I did not like about this book, but I am really at a loss. The world Stacy Kennedy created was fantastic, and with her descriptions you really get a sense of the surroundings, they were very lush and complex in the details, but when it came to character building it was almost nonexistent for me. I really like a much longer book, and I feel like the first book in a series should involve a lot of character building, and laying out the plot/storyline for future books. I will say that the story finishes strong, and leaves me willing to give book 2 The Wicked a try. I know this review is rather lacking, but I was truly at a loss with this book it just did not seem up to par with any paranormal romance book that I have read.

What I am Currently Reading

Crave (Fallen Angels, Book 2) The Wicked - The Magical Sword Book Two

No comments:

Post a Comment